A panel of Scottish artists will share their first hand experiences of Beuys’ exhibitions, actions and lectures in Edinburgh between 1970 and 1981 and consider the impact Beuys had on their art. Were you there too? Please come and share your story! For everyone, this is a unique opportunity to hear an aural account of some remarkable episodes in Edinburgh’s cultural history.
Moderated by Pat Fisher, Principal Curator, Talbot Rice Gallery. In 1974, Pat as a student at the Edinburgh College of Art, attended Beuys’s action Three Pots for the Poorhouse.
- Richard Demarco. Former owner of the Demarco Gallery, Edinburgh. Richard was instrumental in bringing Beuys to Edinburgh on several occasions between 1970 and 1981.
- Gareth Fisher. Emeritus Professor of Sculpture, University of Dundee. Gareth was a student at Edinburgh College of Art in 1970, when Strategy: Get Arts took place.
- Alexander Hamilton. Artist, based in Edinburgh. In 1970, Alex was a student and helper at Strategy: Get Arts.
- Bill Hare. Honorary Teaching Fellow in History of Art at The University of Edinburgh. Bill was present at Strategy: Get Arts.
- Glen Onwin. Artist and Emeritus Professor of Edinburgh College of Art. Glen attended the Three Pots for the Poorhouse action and the discussion between Beuys and Buckminster Fuller at the Black and White Oil Conference, both in 1974.
- Rhea Thönges-Stringaris. German-Greek art historian. Rhea was an organiser of the ‘Documenta’ exhibitions and worked with Beuys in Kassel in the 1970s, on the German Movement for Direct Democracy, the Free International University, the Green party, and the 7000 Oaks initiative.
Organised by the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh College of Art in association with the National Galleries of Scotland, Gallery of Modern Art and supported by the Goethe-Institut, Glasgow.
All welcome. Free but ticketed.
Open at Lakeside Arts Reimag(in)ing the Victorians features sculptures, paintings, film and photography by leading artists who take inspiration from…
For Black Futures Season 2023, a new exhibition focusing on influence of scientific ideology, racism and resilience will…
It’s kind of a ritual, we speak the truth. Then, let go and cook. In the bustling kitchen…
Habib Hajallie champions figures from ethnically diverse backgrounds that have been conspicuously omitted from traditional British portraiture, he…
Are you a woman who has never had the chance to tap into your creativity? Maybe you would…
Join this FREE 5-week learning programme to gain skills, knowledge, a certificate and prize giveaways with Diego Ife….
Join this FREE 5-week course to learn about Black Global Finance and gain general business skills and knowledge…
Record-breaking global sensation Leona Lewis comes to Southend as part of her major UK tour for Christmas 2023….