An insightful Black Genealogy masterclass exploring DNA testing determining your African roots.
DNA testing is estimated to be a £7.7bn industry. 12 million people from all over the world have taken a home DNA-test. We hope DNA tests can tell us where we are from.
But does anyone stop to ask
- are 23andMe and AncestryDNA actually testing your ancestry?
- how much information is passed down through a person’s DNA?
- is the industry really just telling us what they think we want to hear?
Paul Crooks discusses
- his research into his own African Caribbean ancestry and what it reveals about the origins of African Caribbean and African American people.
- the extent DNA testing helps in determine roots/race/ethnicity
How to get the Event link
This online talk will be held over Zoom. Details of how to join the session will be in your registration confirmation email.
Who is this talk for?
For you if
- you’re thinking about getting their DNA test
- you’ve had a DNA test and you’re not sure what next in furthering your understanding of who you are and where you’re from.
Come and ask questions about how to start exploring family history. Who knows? Maybe you’ll be inspired to explore your Ancestry.
Be sure to follow Ancestry Talks on Eventbrite!
Paul Crooks blends Black History and his Family History to bring the back stories of Caribbean and North…
Blending Black History with Black genealogy. Paul Crooks reveals how he used the Slave Compensation Records to bring…
Unveiling new, pioneering, and empowering research that throws new light on naming practices in North America. Paul…
Black British family historian Paul Crooks reveals how he traced his Great Great Great Great Grandmother. Paul’s family…
Discover the strategic resilience of Jamaica’s Maroon leaders in the fight for emancipation. Explore the captivating saga…
An NBGN session focused on increasing the number of Black voices in the governance space. This event…