Led by experienced instructors from Latitude Mountaineering, this introduction to Rock Climbing session will be held at Stanage Edge, a legendary climbing venue, with lovely views of the Peak District.
Rock climbing is a really fun and memorable way to spend some time outside. Moving up through exciting terrain, you will be securely attached to a rope while you climb. We won’t ask you to do anything that you aren’t comfortable with, but all there will be an opportunity to have a go, try it out, and see how you like it.
All safety equipment such as helmets and harnesses will be provided.
Difficulty: Suitable for beginners
Can I come to Black Girls Hike?
As the name suggests, this is a safe space for Black/Mixed Race cis and trans women and non-binary people of Black African and / or Caribbean descent who are comfortable in a space that centres the experiences of Black women. We are not a BAME, POC, BIPOC, WOC, Politically Black or Ally organisation.
What do you need to bring?
- Footwear – Please bring tight-fitting trainers that have a thin sole. Converse are great. It makes it much easier if you can feel the rock as you climb!
- Appropriate clothing for the day (Waterproofs, warm layers, hat, gloves etc)
- Packed lunch, snacks and water
- Please ensure any medication is bought with you e.g., asthma pump or epi pen
- Join our Facebook group to arrange car shares and connect with other hikers – https://www.facebook.com/groups/452855682259161/
- You can use https://www.traveline.info/ to plan your route – the closest train station is Hathersage (2 miles away from the meeting point)
*Please be aware climbing does have some standing around, waiting to have a turn, so please be prepared and bring an extra layer for the British Weather and some good conversation 😊
*You don’t need to stay for the full session if you don’t wish to – come for as long as you want.