Merrell Hiking Club is an inclusive and celebratory digital space where we share hikes and stories from Trailblazers we love. This is our first in-person event series and we are kicking things off with our UK Trailblazers BGH!
As Rhiane Fatinikun said in our interview: “I founded BGH to challenge the lack of inclusion and representation of Black women in the outdoors. It’s about creating a safe space for our community to reconnect with nature and explore.”
And we couldn’t agree more! The outdoors are for everyone and our mission is to work with partners like BGH to be the change we want to see in the world.
Black Girls Hike UK, are an organisation reclaiming the outdoors for black women and creating inclusive adventures. They are a non-profit and all proceeds of this event will go directly to them and the work they do.
So, why Hampstead Heath?
Did you know that London is a ‘National Park City’ because of just how many trees there are? That the view of London from Parliament Hill is protected by law?
You don’t need to go far to get out into nature – so join us as we explore London’s ancient and iconic Hampstead Heath.
Build your confidence as a beginner this Women’s History Month with the expert help of Kelly Smith, our BGH guide for the day, followed by a lunch at Kenwood House.
- 11:45am – Meet at Hampstead Heath Overground Station
- 12:00pm – Leave the station at 12:00 sharp for the hike through Hampstead Heath, led by Kelly Smith
- 12-2pm – 2-hour hike through Hampstead Heath
- 2pm – Break for a workshop & complimentary lunch at Kenwood House
- 4pm – Event finished, (but if you’d like to stick around and keep talking please do!)
Terrain is largely flat but be prepared for some inclines and declines along the way. Some paths can also become muddy and/or water-logged – wear suitable footwear!
The ticket price of £5 includes the following, with all proceeds going directly to Black Girls Hike UK, a nonprofit reclaiming the outdoors.
- Guided hike through Hampstead Heath
- A lunch provided by MHC
- Exclusive MHC Kit gift
What do I need to bring?
- Supportive walking boots are essential. No trainers, pumps or sliders.
- Water & snacks (a lunch will be provided, but please bring any extras you may want)
- Extra layers
- Pater proof jacket
- Please ensure any medication is bought with you e.g, asthma pump or Epi pen. If you wish to inform us of any special requirements you may do this prior to the event via email here.
Walthamstow based she is a hybrid between two worlds. Sultry City grit and deep free spirit. Found drenched…
Ackamoor’s route to Afro-Futurist jazz began in the US in the 1960s, but was fast tracked in 1972,…
With influences ranging from Jorge Ben to Caetano Veloso and going through the manguebeat of Chico Science, the…