This month we celebrate Black History Month, hearing from local and nationally renowned creatives on their journeys, work and inspirations.
Every second Thursday of the month, we host a social meet-up with creative inspiration and an opportunity to connect and learn how we can support one another’s work.
This month we celebrate Black History Month, hearing from inspirational creatives on their journeys and inspirations.
- Sade Fadipe – Chelmsford based children’s Book Author, and Primary Curriculum Specialist, working within the international scope. Sade is currently learning more about the business of books, recently taking a Masters degree in Creative Writing and Publishing. Sade also runs a yearly event during Black History Month called “Children & Authors’ Literary Fanfare Event”, or CALFE, which started online during the pandemic.
- EVEWRIGHT – British artist with parentage from Jamaica, with an art studio based in Purfleet-on Thames. EVEWRIGHT’s multi-disciplinary visual installation art challenges public environments to make spaces for Black British stories to exist and thrive. His first solo exhibition ‘Libation’ is currently on show at Firstsite in Colchester, showcasing a collection of his works spanning 20 years.
Ignite will also be bringing members together to visit EVEWRIGHT’s Libation exhibition at the end of October – please see below for details.
What to expect
Patch, 5 – 6 Grays Yard, Springfield Rd, Chelmsford, CM2 6QR
7-10pm, Thursday 12th October
- From 7pm – People begin arriving, relaxed music is played.
- 7-7.30pm – Getting drinks and catching up with fellow creatives in the bar space. There are activities such as pens/paper for doodling, and free space and seats in the foyer if you’d prefer.
- 7.30-9pm – People move through to the presentation space, to sit down and hear from the speakers – speakers stand at the front and often use power point presentations. There is a Q&A at the end, giving an opportunity to ask questions of the speakers.
- 9-10pm – Some people choose to leave at 9, others choose to stay to informally catch up further. The bar is open until 10pm.
The bar serves water, tea, coffee, cola / diet cola, beer and red and white wine, we accept card, but don’t normally accept cash.
Photography may be taken at the social to use for Ignite media – please email email@example.com to let us know if you do not want your image used.
We are working to make our social events as inclusive, accessible and welcoming as possible. We would love to hear from you any ideas, questions or concerns about attending events and taking part in Ignite. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ignite – Libation Visit
Between 24-28th October EVEWRIGHT will be Artist-in Residence at Firstsite in Colchester delivering tours, talks and performances throughout the week. Ignite will be gathering a group of members together to go to Colchester and take part in this. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in coming along.
Ignite – be part of a thriving creative community in Chelmsford
To stay in the loop on cultural events sign up to the Ignite Chelmsford mailing list – choosing Cultural Forum (Ignite Chelmsford) from the checklist. And follow us on Social media via Facebook and Instagram, or visit our webpage www.IgniteChelmsford.org.uk.
If you work or volunteer in the creative sector – or aspire to – please consider:
- Adding yourself to the Ignite member directory – where you can showcase what you are doing locally and see what others are doing.
- Dropping into the next Ignite online collaborative hub meeting, the fourth Thursday of every month, 12-1.30pm – to share what you are currently working on or thinking about, and to find chances to collaborate and share knowledge.