Did you Know?
People of Color Living with Diabetes….
- Experience a 60% higher chance of being diagnosed with diabetes than non-hispanic white Americans.
- Were twice as likely as non-Hispanic whites to pass away from diabetes, in 2017.
- In 2016, 116.7% of non-hispanic black people were admitted to the hospital with uncontrolled diabetes while only 36.8% of non-hispanic white people were admitted.
As a POC Living with Diabetes, you matter, your voice matters and we have saved you a seat at the table!
Hosted by Umemba Health, LLC and Type One Tools, the POCLWD Virtual Summit will feature health professionals, community educators, social media influencers and sports legends discussing issues that affect you. Some of the topics discussed will include;
- Health disparities in communities of color
- Diabetes shame and stigma
- Diabetes burnout
- Advocating for yourself
- Benefits of using diabetes technology
- Why people of color should get involved in research trials
- And more!
The goal of the POCLWD Virtual Summit is to provide education, resources, empowerment and community among black and brown people and allies living with, and managing prediabetes, type one diabetes, and type two diabetes.Take control of your health. Have your voice heard. Join the discussion. Welcome to the table, pull up a chair.
*The summit event is free but your donation is appreciated. This event is open to non POC living with diabetes as well. *
Filmmakers wanted to celebrate the Windrush generation SHORT FILM: Call for filmmakers to produce project on Windrush generation…
This informative and inspirational course explores the lives, work and legacy of remarkable Black Women who distinguished themselves…
We are on a mission to bring the magic of music into every home and school in Brighton…
This important course addresses the question: What was Africa like just before the Slave Trade began in 1441?…
Join us for a virtual day to celebrate the cross-network launch of Black History Month! Join us for…
This session is lead by Pamela Windle and will cover the topic of Sleep in Times of COVID….
We come together to honour our Afrikan/Black Ancestors during Black History Month in the UK . We come…
1981: England looks forward to a new decade. But on the streets of Brixton, it’s hard to hold…