Black writers, Black experiences: shared history
For Black History Month, book lovers are invited to celebrate diversity in literature at the Dr Martin Luther King Jr Building with the support of the Reader, the International Slavery Museum, the Institute for Black Atlantic Research and Liverpool John Moores University.
Launch of a shared reading group: A volunteer Reader Leader from The Reader will lead this weekly exploration of literature from writers of African descent. In Shared Reading, literature becomes a powerful tool, enabling us to consider, to gain insight and understanding about the diversity of the human experience. The Shared Reading Group will focus on reading together narratives about African descent experience.
Free resources will be available: Diversity in Literature – Writers of African descent (bibliographies from the Institute for Black Atlantic studies, free sample of poems, short stories)
- 10.15 am Black Flowers, film screening by ROOT-ed Zine and Kiara Mohamed
- 11.15 am Launch of the Shared Reading group project: Black writers, Black experiences: shared history
- 12noon Shared reading session 1/2
- 1pm Shared reading session 2/2
- 2pm Just an Oridinary Lawyer, a play with songs. Written and performed by Tayo Aluko.